United States. Army. Western Defense Command and Fourth Army. Final Report, Japanese Evacuation from the West Coast, 1942.
Puyallup Assembly Center (U.S. government name), also known as Camp Harmony, opened on April 28, 1942 and was located at the Western Washington Fairgrounds. The Fairgrounds were selected because it already had permanent facilities capable of accommodating over 5,000 people. The main fairgrounds could hold 3,000 people, and 34 acres of parking lots provided the space necessary to house an additional 5,000. Puyallup held as many as 7,390 persons of Japanese ancestry. Areas A, B, and C of the parking lot held 3,000, 1,000, and 900 people, along with separate facilities such as mess halls, latrines, showers, and laundry facilities. Each barracks only had one window and one electrical outlet in the ceiling, and many incarcerees recalled them as unfit for families. Incarcerees from Puyallup were mostly moved to Minidoka, on a 30 hour train ride on 16 transfers of approximately 500 people assigned to 11 passenger cars, 2 baggage cars, 2 diners, and 2 Pullmans from August 9th to September 12th, 1942, the day Puyallup was officially closed.