Special Project Details
Upcoming 2011 Japantown Better Neighborhood Plan Community Meetings!
Find below a schedule of upcoming Better Neighborhood Plan Community Meetings at the Japanese Cultural and Community Center of Northern California (JCCCNC) regarding the BNP Final Submittal. The purpose of the meetings is to solicit community response the revised BNP document. Your participation is critical!
Location: JCCCNC, 1840 Sutter St., San Francisco (between Webster and Buchanan)
Contact: Robert Hamaguchi, Japantown Task Force ph: 415.346.1239
Wednesday, June 1
6:30 to 9:00
Land Use / Built Form / Japan Center
1. Physical Landscape: Maintain current building heights and scale with a focus on business and residential mix—No highrises.
2. Cultural Character: Establish architectural standards to maintain the Japanese/Japanese American character of the community core.
3. Japan Center: Retain the malls’ basic scale; & rehabilitate structure; support businesses that perpetuate Japantown’s cultural authenticity.
Monday, June 27
6:30 to 9:00
Transportation / Public Realm
1. Community Streetscape: Reflecting Nihonmachi's culture and heritage in the community core’s streetscape.
2. Public Spaces: Redesign Peace Plaza as a community gathering center; enhance Buchanan Mall; eliminate the Webster Street Park recommendation; and include cultural landscaping around Japantown as appropriate.
3. Geary Street: Reconnect the North and South of Geary communities; open malls and Peace Plaza to the street; enhance Japanese/Japanese American streetscape.
Sunday, July 31
12:30 to 3:00
Community Heritage / Community Economic Development
1. Conserve and Enhance Japantown Cultural Heritage: Historic Districts and Landmarking key properties with Japanese American and multicultural historic significance.
2. Community Land Trust: a new way for the community to sustain key properties and businesses reflecting community heritage.
3. Build and Maintain Community into the Future: Securing our community institutions; meeting the needs of youth & young adults, the arts and families.